Skip to main content

Experience Architecture

Experience Architecture is the “art of articulating a clear user story or journey through an information architecture, interaction design, and experience design such that an end user navigates across products and services offered by the client or as intended by the designer.”

First of all, what I like about this concept: Whether it be with architecture, branding, or any artistic medium, I appreciate that storytelling is the key. Storytelling is an art in and of itself, one which is often the universal and relatable aspect behind everything else.

As a professional writer who leans into the literary and creative side of writing often, I have a deep appreciation for this crossover. And while, for the most part, I personally do not fit what it means to be an experience architecture or attendee experience (AX) professional, I have in a sense already worked on growing my experience in this realm. For example, as professional writer, I have a general understanding of design. So I think my general knowledge can help propel me further in the field of experience architecture.

I found that the readings, such as "How To Get From Space to Place," helped highlight and demonstrate one piece of the puzzle when it comes to design thinking and accessibility. It especially helps highlight the importance of it all, especially in Brady’s “User Centered Approach” piece. This conscientious way of thinking is integral to the mindset of a professional writer. It has been present throughout all of my previous classes and I feel familiarized with the general concepts of Architectural Design by proxy.

Keeping all of this in mind—accessibility, usability, experience and overall story—and applying it to spaces is ultimately what it means to be an experience architect. I imagine my classmates and I are likely closer to that than we think we are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The UX behind Among Us

The online multiplayer game, Among Us, took the quarantined world by storm. A year ago the game boasted under a hundred players. Today, the social deduction game has nearly 400,000 players in a given month. Players join the online game to play against their friends or randomly assigned players from the internet in a murder mystery free for all. At the start of a game, users are assigned the role of crewmate or imposter. Crewmates must complete mini tasks and identify the imposter who is running around murdering crewmates and avoiding detection. The game has proven to be incredibly successful, but how well does it stand up to user experience standards? Accessibility This game appears rather simplistic; however, there are a few major accessibility design flaws. The first of which is something that I personally would have never considered until I discussed the game with a friend. The primary objective of Among Us is to identify the imposter who is sneaking around and killing crewmates...

One Purdue and the Employee Launchpad

Before the pandemic began, I was able to easily clock in and out of my on-campus job by swiping my Purdue ID card. Now, however, I have to clock in online through One Purdue and the Employee Launchpad. I often do this from my phone via the mobile website. Frustration led me to choose One Purdue for my expert analysis because I was often unable to accomplish my task. The mobile website often failed by not loading or giving an error. The options shown on One Purdue were also inconsistent, and I often couldn’t locate the Employee Launchpad before my shift began, even though it is the only application I have ever consistently used. In response, I decided to analyze One Purdue’s desktop website. In my findings, I have found that the desktop website is only somewhat better than the mobile one. Beginning with One Purdue’s weaknesses, there is simply too much going on. All of One Purdue’s 73 applications are included under the “Most Popular” category with very little information to distinguish...

The Future of Technical Writing

Searching for jobs today can be difficult, especially with the ongoing pandemic. The future of technical writing is arguably changing, as we have discussed throughout class, and as soon-to-be graduates, it is important for us to remain diligent when assessing the future of technical writing positions. Here, I have researched more into the future of technical writing regarding AI, usability, and social media. One debate regarding the future of technical writing is whether or not traditional technical writers will be replaced by automated writing software. According to an article from Zoomin, automated writing programs are unable to entirely replace technical writers due to the nature of human communication; technical writers are necessary for analyzing the audience and tailoring content to that audience. Since automated writing is not able to replace writers yet, the article suggests that technical writers can use automation to help increase the value of their work. Bringing in automat...