Skip to main content

Brief: The App That's Exactly What It Claims To Be

How a paid-subscription news app saved me from being sucked down the black hole of polarization and endless information.

“There’s no such thing as a free lunch,” says the economic proverb. Everything has a cost, and when things seem like they don’t have a cost, it is simply a cost you haven’t seen or realized. The Internet is full of content that seems free. Smartphone games, social media platforms, even Internet browsers themselves, such as Google, are all free to use.

The net worth of these companies show they are, in fact, making money. Google and Facebook are currently 11th and 46th on the Fortune 500 list, respectably. Anytime a user interacts with the internet, they are most likely engaged in some sort of give-take agreement. Google and Facebook, for example, profit primarily by selling user’s attention to advertisers.

Advertisements pervade almost every almost every function and space of the Internet to give the illusion that it is free. News services are perhaps one of the more problematic places to rely on advertisements. Even paid subscription news services typically allow users free article access without a subscription every month, and they use this opportunity to place ads in the margins of their stories.

One increasingly problematic practice is “native advertising”, which are articles that are paid for by companies without signifying that they are advertisements. It does not require much imagination to consider why blurring this line is a huge ethical concern.

However, the two problems that are really starting to have a grip on me are “shock journalism” and endless scroll features. Shock journalism has existed almost as long as journalism. News companies realized they needed to sell papers, and that “shock-value”, hyper-concerned stories achieved that end.

Endless scroll features allow the users to continue to click on one article after another with no end. Services with endless scroll retain the user's attention and keep selling them ads. The same way 24-hour news channels must speculate and exaggerate to fill time, Internet feeds must continue pushing users towards certain viewpoints, pulling them further from simple, fact-based journalism.

Enter Brief.

Brief is a paid news subscription; it costs $5.00 a month with the ability to cancel anytime. By presenting the user with a clear cost, Brief does not need to advertise or try to keep their attention. In fact, the purpose of the app is to combat the attention-centered business model of the current news cycle. Brief works to eliminate bias and save time by curating short reports of important news events.

Each article is only about a 5-minute read, offers multiple sources cited, and offers brief statements, reactions, and insight from actual professionals working in whatever field is being discussed. Once the user finishes a story, they swipe off it and it disappears. If there is nothing newsworthy to report, the app just states: “You’re all caught up!”

Although Apple, Google, and other services I regularly use offer free news applications, I have switched to paying for Brief to receive almost all of my news. Its ease of access allows me to efficiently get caught up on relevant information. Because they do not offer endless scroll, I have only ever spent about 5–15 minutes each day. By subscribing to Brief, I am not only paying for their coverage, but also paying for the knowledge that I can avoid the time-consuming, advertisement-riddled, and often obnoxious other news sources.

The real strength of the app is found in what they are not: extensive. The limited, bite-size nature allows me to only receive what I need to accomplish my task, not any extra information that will distract and waste time. Brief allows you to receive notifications, but they disappear after 24 hours, so I never have notifications piling up.

I believe that the polarized nature of our public discourse was caused, in part, by our current system of news delivery. Subscription-based services are not perfect, it seems unethical to make the ability to receive reliable information class-based. However, I think their transparent, consumer-focused design is the future of internet services and applications.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The UX behind Among Us

The online multiplayer game, Among Us, took the quarantined world by storm. A year ago the game boasted under a hundred players. Today, the social deduction game has nearly 400,000 players in a given month. Players join the online game to play against their friends or randomly assigned players from the internet in a murder mystery free for all. At the start of a game, users are assigned the role of crewmate or imposter. Crewmates must complete mini tasks and identify the imposter who is running around murdering crewmates and avoiding detection. The game has proven to be incredibly successful, but how well does it stand up to user experience standards? Accessibility This game appears rather simplistic; however, there are a few major accessibility design flaws. The first of which is something that I personally would have never considered until I discussed the game with a friend. The primary objective of Among Us is to identify the imposter who is sneaking around and killing crewmates...

One Purdue and the Employee Launchpad

Before the pandemic began, I was able to easily clock in and out of my on-campus job by swiping my Purdue ID card. Now, however, I have to clock in online through One Purdue and the Employee Launchpad. I often do this from my phone via the mobile website. Frustration led me to choose One Purdue for my expert analysis because I was often unable to accomplish my task. The mobile website often failed by not loading or giving an error. The options shown on One Purdue were also inconsistent, and I often couldn’t locate the Employee Launchpad before my shift began, even though it is the only application I have ever consistently used. In response, I decided to analyze One Purdue’s desktop website. In my findings, I have found that the desktop website is only somewhat better than the mobile one. Beginning with One Purdue’s weaknesses, there is simply too much going on. All of One Purdue’s 73 applications are included under the “Most Popular” category with very little information to distinguish...

The Future of Technical Writing

Searching for jobs today can be difficult, especially with the ongoing pandemic. The future of technical writing is arguably changing, as we have discussed throughout class, and as soon-to-be graduates, it is important for us to remain diligent when assessing the future of technical writing positions. Here, I have researched more into the future of technical writing regarding AI, usability, and social media. One debate regarding the future of technical writing is whether or not traditional technical writers will be replaced by automated writing software. According to an article from Zoomin, automated writing programs are unable to entirely replace technical writers due to the nature of human communication; technical writers are necessary for analyzing the audience and tailoring content to that audience. Since automated writing is not able to replace writers yet, the article suggests that technical writers can use automation to help increase the value of their work. Bringing in automat...