Skip to main content

The "What's Your Major" Conversation

What every college student dreads the most is something that I like to call the “What’s your major?” conversation. It usually picks up around the beginning of each school year, around holidays with extended family, or around the end of a college career. It’s not the “What’s your major?” question that is difficult. It’s the question that almost always follows. This is usually how the conversation goes:

“Oh, you’re a junior? That’s cool. What’s your major?”

“Data Visualization and Professional Writing.”

“Oh, wow. So what do you want to do with that?”

It’s a great question, really. In fact, I’d love to know the answer too. Sometimes I think it’d be easier if I chose to study engineering because then I would simply use my engineering major to become an engineer. Instead, with my combination of majors, it isn’t that simple. There are so many career possibilities, making my decision-making process both relieving yet confusing. I don’t know what my plan after graduation is, but I do know that there are a lot of things that I love and a lot of things that I’m good at. So, here’s what I know, and here’s what my majors mean to me.

I came to Purdue knowing that I love to write. I also knew that I was good at it, but at the same time my interests and skills never ended there. I like art. I like math. I like design. Technology is fascinating to me. So is social media and so is data. Just reading that all together seems chaotic and unrelated. How could I possibly be good at writing and art but also be good at math? (Keep in mind that the stem interest stops there—no physics for me, please.) My first semester of freshman year, as a Professional Writing major, I took an introductory computer graphics course just to see what was out there. This is where I discovered Purdue’s Data Visualization major, and by adding that major I began the process of blending my interests.

At the surface, the two majors seem quite different. But just like writing, Data Visualization is about telling a story. In both cases, it’s all about communicating. Professional Writing weaves together a variety of skills. For me, my Professional Writing major is what helps me connect my two majors. I learn about writing in the technology industry, I learn about document design, I learn about communicating numbers with words and pictures, and ultimately I learn how to tell stories by smoothly guiding the reader through my end product. Data Visualization gives me the tools that help me handle data and derive insight with graphics. Professional Writing helps me understand an audience and build a bridge from my mind to theirs.

So even though I claim I don’t know what I’m doing, really, I do. I know that I love both of my majors, and I know that I’m good at them. And as long as the Professional Writing major continues to teach me how to blend my interests and tell stories, then I know I’ll be happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The UX behind Among Us

The online multiplayer game, Among Us, took the quarantined world by storm. A year ago the game boasted under a hundred players. Today, the social deduction game has nearly 400,000 players in a given month. Players join the online game to play against their friends or randomly assigned players from the internet in a murder mystery free for all. At the start of a game, users are assigned the role of crewmate or imposter. Crewmates must complete mini tasks and identify the imposter who is running around murdering crewmates and avoiding detection. The game has proven to be incredibly successful, but how well does it stand up to user experience standards? Accessibility This game appears rather simplistic; however, there are a few major accessibility design flaws. The first of which is something that I personally would have never considered until I discussed the game with a friend. The primary objective of Among Us is to identify the imposter who is sneaking around and killing crewmates...

The Future of Technical Writing

Searching for jobs today can be difficult, especially with the ongoing pandemic. The future of technical writing is arguably changing, as we have discussed throughout class, and as soon-to-be graduates, it is important for us to remain diligent when assessing the future of technical writing positions. Here, I have researched more into the future of technical writing regarding AI, usability, and social media. One debate regarding the future of technical writing is whether or not traditional technical writers will be replaced by automated writing software. According to an article from Zoomin, automated writing programs are unable to entirely replace technical writers due to the nature of human communication; technical writers are necessary for analyzing the audience and tailoring content to that audience. Since automated writing is not able to replace writers yet, the article suggests that technical writers can use automation to help increase the value of their work. Bringing in automat...

One Purdue and the Employee Launchpad

Before the pandemic began, I was able to easily clock in and out of my on-campus job by swiping my Purdue ID card. Now, however, I have to clock in online through One Purdue and the Employee Launchpad. I often do this from my phone via the mobile website. Frustration led me to choose One Purdue for my expert analysis because I was often unable to accomplish my task. The mobile website often failed by not loading or giving an error. The options shown on One Purdue were also inconsistent, and I often couldn’t locate the Employee Launchpad before my shift began, even though it is the only application I have ever consistently used. In response, I decided to analyze One Purdue’s desktop website. In my findings, I have found that the desktop website is only somewhat better than the mobile one. Beginning with One Purdue’s weaknesses, there is simply too much going on. All of One Purdue’s 73 applications are included under the “Most Popular” category with very little information to distinguish...