Skip to main content

My Take On Professional Writing


To me, professional writing is a set of reading, writing, analytical, and 21st century skills paired with an attitude of adaptability that make a person adept at communicating in the work place and producing content. For me, professional writing is a set of added skills to my future teaching career. It is also versatility to my degree so that I can switch into another field if I don't want to teach my entire career. It is an undergraduate degree with a variety of graduate degrees available for the stacking. Professional writing brings opportunity to me by providing flexibility in my academic and professional career.

After taking 306 and starting off this semester in 515, I have added the ideas of advocacy and user experience to what professional writing means to me. Professional writers can advocate for the business they work for, their clientele, or both. Professional writers have the ability to communicate and should use that ability to speak on behalf of those who need their voice heard. Continuing in the theme of advocacy leads to the understanding and bringing about of user design. Professional writers should have the skill of taking on the perspective of the user and creating their works and designs to benefit the users’ experience with their work. This is also a form of advocacy.

My current academic plan involves two majors in the English department–professional writing and English education. I am also getting a minor in American studies because I am required to have a minor outside of the English department. The American studies minor has requirements that overlap with many of the other courses that I am taking. I need to meet with my advisor and check to make sure I can graduate at a reasonable time, but that is the plan. My plan for life after graduation is only figured out for the next 8 years, provided that I can stick to the plan. As we all know, plans are up in the air in 2020 and beyond…at least for now.

In the next few years, I plan to teach. I have a teaching scholarship that requires me to teach in Indiana for 5 years. I plan to teach English somewhere in the Indianapolis area. My dream is to teach junior English, which has many elements of American history. I think that the professional writing background will help me teach advocacy to students learning about literature's place in American history and culture. I will be able to help them interact with the content and find their voice in society rather than conditioning them to be passive learners of content. I also think that my background will help me prepare students with skills and writing assignments that are more likely to benefit them in the working world. At some point, whether before or after those 5 years, I plan to go to grad school. I can't remember when I started thinking about it, but I really want to go! I've toyed with the idea of going to law school, but if not, then I will get my master’s degree. I am not yet sure what to get a graduate degree in.

My interests and obsessions right now keep me busy, and I hope that I find ways to interact with them more! I want to continue being a nerd about music, recycling, searching for motives in society and business, leadership, Purdue Cooperatives, youths, Taylor Swift, scent psychology, sharks, books, writing, and acting. Those are the miniature obsessions that fill my days. No matter where my future takes me, whether it be one of the more concrete plans that I discussed earlier in the blog post or one of the obscure subjects I just mentioned, Purdue professional writing is setting me up for success. It’s more than writing; it’s a skill set.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Evaluation of Hulu

I evaluated Hulu as one part of my group’s final project, which is to examine multiple streaming services for usability concerns. Before this evaluation, all I really knew about Hulu was that it 1) wasn’t Netflix and 2) has ads. I only have access to Hulu because it came as a package with Spotify for students. That being said, I usually don’t browse through Hulu unless I’ve exhausted all of my other options trying to find a specific title. Since I didn’t know very much about it, I was pleasantly surprised by my findings. Here, I will share some of my observations about Hulu's content organization, playability, and accessibility. To start, Hulu’s content organization does some things well and some things not so well. Among the things that the service does well is allowing viewers to distinguish between movies and TV shows very quickly. To further this, once one of those options has been selected, viewers can narrow their search down by limiting the results to specific genres. Hulu m

Purdue's Two-Factor Authentication System, BoilerKey

BoilerKey—Purdue’s attempt at two-factor authentication. Not only was it not well-thought through, but ITaP also offered very little support for it, all while forcing it on all students and faculty on the same day. Typically, two-factor authentication is a very helpful feature. However, Purdue’s implementation of it has served to not only confuse students and faculty but also has reduced security in some ways. By using PIN,push, the complexity of your password is significantly hindered, from at least 8 letters/numbers/symbols down to only 4 numbers. In almost any other implementation of two-factor authentication, users have an app on their phones that generates six-digit one-time passwords. These are used in combination with your pre-existing password. When logging in, you enter your username and password like usual and then are prompted to enter the six-digit one-time password. This serves to add to the existing security. Although this is only anecdotal evidence, it seems to me like I

How to Build a Successful Team

Working with a group is really an art and a science. Much of it is methodical and some of it is just about attitude and grace. Quite honestly, there is an ounce of luck involved too. When it comes to working with a group, I find that there are a few things that can make or break the success of a team or group project. Based on my experience in working with groups (and I’ve had plenty), here’s what makes a team successful. Establish boundaries and structure from the very beginning.  Even if all of the team members are on the same page after the first meeting, I can almost guarantee that nothing will get done for a long time unless there is at least some kind of schedule or some checkpoint deadlines. Nothing keeps a person motivated like a deadline, and if deadlines are set on day one, then there will always be a reason to keep team members accountable. Boundaries are important too. How do you want to communicate? What kind of behavior or action will just put you over the edge? What happ